Thursday, October 16, 2008

Children and Chores!!

For some reason these two "Children and Chores" have not gotten along very good lately. We have tried different things but the motivation to keep on doesn't last very long. As much as we want to teach them consistency, I wanted to find some tools to make the task more enjoyable so that it doesn't become a burden. Not matter what I've tried it just has not worked out UNTIL the other day I was browsing the Internet trying to find another interesting chart or some ideas that would help captivate my girls interest in doing their chores. Well, I came across this website and decided to check it out. I immediately became interested and decided to try it out. I am not a person that keeps track of work or anything else on the computer, I rather have to do lists that one can cross out really quick when done. But his website really got me, I created an account for our family and was able to create one chore chart for each one of the girls. That gave us a weekly chart and the availability to check it off when done; this is the catch, when each chore is done and marked done, your child earns points which are accumulated and easy for the child to read their accumulated points.
They get to choose a kitten when you create their account, and with their points earned they get to buy clothing, accessories, etc for their kitten, they even get a house which they will eventually furnished by using their earned points.

So here it is how I implemented it in our household and it has done wonders, since I don't want to be on the computer every time they finish one chore, I went ahead and printed their weekly chart and tape it to their bedroom doors. I am not kidding you, they get home for school and without any fussing they get busy with their chores and after they are done they mark them off with a pencil. At the end of day, each one take turns by bringing their chart down and together we check them off on the computer. This is the part they love and look forward to, that after we check their charts they get to play/shop with their kitten for 15/20 min and that's their reward. At this point Heather is saving all her points because she wants to furnish her kitten's house, so cute.

A week later they are still interested and all the arguing has gone down. They are occupied, not only with chores but with activities they love. Our life has less chaos, their rooms are picked up on a daily basis, mama's happy that I don't have to argue with them about their chores getting done.

I am sharing this because it is really working for us, it is free to sign up although they have things you can buy but it's completely optional. So here it is, check it out

5 comments:

Leah said...

That's fantastic, Damaris! Thank you for sharing that site. My kids will definitely buy into this. Whoever thought that up is a genius... I think I'll sign the kids up tonight.

Kym said...

I will be checking this out. With the Webkinz craze in my household this might be a real incentive for them to have another option to play with on line. Great find and thanks for sharing!

Beth said...

Nice work sis! Just keep all those little tidbits in mind and Sydney gets to those stages. :)

You are an awesome momma!

Kristen said...

Thanks for sharing Damaris. I can't wait to check it out. I am trying to find something to use that will be efficient and effective with chores and the kids earning their "commissions" Thanks for sharing your Victory story last night - that is awesome!

Anonymous said...

I stopped by to see if there were any cute pictures of the girls that I hadn't seen yet. I love the story you told. Remember this for me. This sounds like a wonderful idea. Love you girl!